Transition into the working world!

I am now at the end of my second week as a qualified nurse and decided it may be helpful for me (and hopefully whoever is reading this!) to reflect back on the journey. I am going to break it down into Application, recruitment and starting.

Application...

So I started applying for newly qualified posts back in November 2020. For me this was my first experience of applying for a 'proper job'. I found it helpful to start the applications early to give myself time to work though it without putting on unnecessary pressure. 

A big sticking point for me was 'according to the definition of disability do you consider yourself to have a disability'. This was a really tricky one for me to know what was best to put. I sought advice from my personal tutor and DSA mentor who both very much made it clear it was my decision as to weather or not I wished to disclose my autism diagnosis at this stage. I found it really hard to know what was best for two reasons. The first may be more obvious, fear of  discrimination. Would I be a 'right off' if the label Autism was put down. While I know that it is illegal to discriminate on the grounds of a disability I know that this is not always the case, and I didn't want my autism to be the thing that stopped me being selected for interview. The second thing that I found challenging about this question was the wording, the use of the word disability. I completely understand that everyone sees autism in a different way but I personally don't see it as a disability. I am much more of the view that it is a different ability. Therefore the wording of this felt uncomfortable to me, however there was nowhere else to disclose being autistic. perhaps a different wording would be helpful such as 'do you see yourself having any needs that may require reasonable workplace adaptations'.

I applied for 4 jobs in total, thankfully the application process was similar for all 4 which meant that once I had completed the first the word load was much less to get the following few submitted. 

One piece of advice I would give anyone (autistic or not) is to be prepared. Almost all applications will ask for information such as your educational qualifications, Employment history (including a basic description of your role) and then your referees. These are all things you could consider having ready ahead of starting to apply, finding exam certificate etc ahead of time can save a lot of time when you then have a short time window to submit an application. This means you can prioritise your time on getting any supporting information written really well.

I was lucky enough to have been shortlisted to interview for all 4 of the posts I had applied for which was a big confidence boost but don't be disheartened if you are unsuccessful for a few posts you apply for, it is not a reflection on you at all. The working world is a competitive world.

Due to COVID restrictions 3 out of the 4 interviews were held online. I was initially unsure about this but having experienced a mix of virtual and face to face interviews I personally found the virtual interviews less stressful. I was in my own environment which meant that on top of the stress of the interview I wasn't having to deal with a new place and any sensory overload that may occur out of my control. In the future if I was to ever choose to leave my current job I would request a virtual interview as a reasonable adjustement as I felt this was a much easier experience for me. I know of others who have requested the interview questions in advance which was something I was too scared to ask for but I think if I was to do it again this may have been something that would have been beneficial to help me process the information before the interview.

Following the interview I was offered 3 of the 4 jobs I had applied for. For me personally picking the post I wished to take was an easy decision and therefore turning down the other two trusts was not to difficult. It helped me in advance to think of a hierarchy of places that I wanted to work and if I was incontrol which one would I want most or least. This makes it so much easier in the moment to know you are making a decision you have thought about logically. It is also okay to not accept the post on the phone there and then. Two of the trusts I asked if I could have 24 hours to think about it so I made a decision I was happy with.

Recruitment...

So I have accepted a job. I thought that it would be a fairly quick and easy process from here but I was a bit naive!!

For me this involved a lot of paperwork! Whist time consuming on the whole it wasn't to bad. The only thing that was a challenge for me was the occupational health (OH) process. I was hoping to start my job at the start of September and at the end of august was told that I would need to be seen by an OH consultant to discuss my disclosure of autism. The next available appointment was the middle of September which meant the whole process would be delayed. At this point I felt really cross with my autism as it was holding me back from being able to start work. I sought support and with a few conversations it was agreed this could be discrimination and I could start work and talk to OH after my start date. I have been so lucky that my line manager has a good understanding of autism and was happy to put reasonable adjustement in place from day one and for these to be supported by a letter from OH at a later date. 

My advice to anyone in the application or recruitment process is to request an early referral to OH to avoid the situation I was in. I now know that I need clearance from OH and it was frustrating this process couldn't have started earlier than it did.

Starting...

So contract signed and start date agreed. Finally it was happening! As I have already said I had an amazingly supportive manager who made sure that my start was as smooth as possible, she arranged for me to come in and have a walk around the area I would be working in a week before I started which was such a help. The first day of course came with a lot of anxiety but looking back there was no need. I have found it really easy to talk to almost all of my collueges about being autistic and this has been received really well. I have already seen the benefits it has had. There have been a few occasions that we have had autistic patients admitted to our ward and staff have come to me for advice on how best they can support that individual and their family which has been such an honour. 

Starting hasn't been without its challenges. I am EXASUTED!! There has been so much to learn, a lot of masking, sensory challenges, difficult work situations (challenging patients!) and of course the long days. But over all I am loving my job and really wish I could have told my 11 year old self where I am today, I am happy and finally feel the world has accepted me.

The night before I started my job I posted the below picture on twitter:

Now two weeks into my career this feels even more true, growing up has well and truly thrown its challenges at me (and I am sure there are a few more to come!) but I just want to end with the encouragement that autism doesn't have to define you in a negative way, autism makes us a unique and incredible community. And I truly believe that when in the right place with the right support you can achieve ANYTHING!

Comments

Post a Comment