AQ10 Explained

If you have ever done any research about autism you may have stumbled across the term AQ10. This is an assessment tool that is commonly used to identify autistic characteristic in adults. The AQ 10 stands from Autism spectrum Quotient test, and is recommended for use with adults who display possible autistic traits but do not have a moderate or sever learning disability. It can be a helpful tool to help identify individuals that may benefit from a referral for a more comprehensive autism assessment.

The questionnaire works though 10 statements in which you are asked to answer definitely agree, slightly agree, slightly disagree, definitely disagree. In this post I am going to talk you though my answers to the AQ10. Explain roughly how the scoring process works and highlight some downfalls of the AQ10 that I have found. 

I will also link the online version at the end of this post for anyone interested in looking into this further. 

My answers to the AQ-10 Explained

Question 1 - I often notice small sounds when others don't
Definitely Agree: I have quite sensitive hearing which at times can be a real help (e.g. hearing our very quite oven timer at home going off!) It can also be a real annoyance when out and about. I can really struggle in noisy environments to concentrate on one source of noise for example if I am trying to engage in a conversation I find it really challenging to block out every other conversation going on around me. 

Question 2 - I usually concentrate on the whole picture rather than individual details
Slightly disagree: I think this is a really hard one to answer as the context can be so wide. For example if it comes down to tidying and organising I am much more focused on sorting the tidying into small sections and tackling each individual part separately rather than being overwhelmed by the overall task. In other respects I may be more concentrated in a wider context for example when making plans I am much more focused on the end goal rather than the steps to get there. If neutral was an answer for this I would answer that but I probably lean slightly more towards the disagree.

Question 3 - I find it easy to do more than one thing at once
Slightly Agree: I often find that I need to be stimulating more than one sense at a time to fully concentrate. For example while witting this post I am also watching 'Outsiders' (Side note a really easy and funny watch on Dave!). I often find that I need to keep my hands busy when I am watching TV etc. I also think that nursing has been a good practice at getting good at this as we are often doing about a 100 things at once (maybe a slight exaggeration but still we are bust bees!)

Question 4 - If there is an interruption I can switch back to what I was doing quickly
Slightly Disagree: Again I don't really feel very strongly either way with this one but maybe slightly lean more towards the disagree side. I find that unexpected interruptions can put me off and I can struggle to refocus on the task I was working on.

Question 5 - I find it easy to read between the lines when someone is talking to me
Definitely Disagree: This is something I really struggle with. I can easily be upset by people who really didn't mean any harm by misunderstanding what they where trying to communicate to me verbally or non verbally. This also links to sarcasm, I struggle to read into this to know if this is a genuine comment or sarcastic comment. Having said this I am quite sarcastic myself so I understand it in that sense!

Question 6 - I know how to tell if someone listening to me is getting bored
Slightly Agree: I think that this is an example of where I have learnt to mask. If you had asked my a few years ago I probably would have answered slightly disagree. I have now learnt social cues that others may show and have learnt to recognise and respond to this. Having said this I do have times when I am sure I don't quite pick it up right!

Question 7 - When I am reading a story I find it difficult to work out the characters intentions
Definitely Agree: This was one of my biggest challenges when it came to English literature GCSE 'How does the author present the theme of x though the use x' was one of the hardest questions. my honest answer I don't know and I don't care. I much prefer factual books or autobiographies. 

Question 8 - I like to collect information about categories of things (e.g. types of cars, types of birds, types of trains, types of plants, etc)
Definitely Agree: I love learning about and gathering information about topics that interest me. I go though phases of what interests me and when I get hocked on something interested I love to learn loads about it!

Question 9 - I find it easy to work out what someone is thinking or feeling just by looking at their face
Slightly Disagree: I have definitely learnt over time to read these more but wouldn't go as far as to say that it is easy. I think part of the challenge is that I struggle to label emotions (my own and others) so there is a mix up in my head in trying to put the puzzle together. This can make it hard to know how to react.

Question 10 - I find it difficult to work out peoples intentions
Slightly Disagree: I think this one is quite similar to question 5 and 7. I find it hard to read other peoples body language and this can lead to misunderstandings and upset.

Scoring the AQ-10

1 Point is given if definitely or slightly agree is answered to question 1, 7, 8 and 10
(0 Points are given if definitely or slightly disagree is answered to question 1, 7, 8, and 10)

1 Point is given if definitely or slightly disagree is answered to question 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, and 9
(0 Points are given if definitely or slightly agree is answered to question 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, and 9)

A score of 6-10 indicates you may well be autistic 
A score of 0-5 indicates it is unlikely you are autistic 

My score comes to 7:
1. Agree (1 point)                                6. Agree (0 Points)                               
2. Disagree (1 point)                            7. Agree (1 Point) 
3. Agree (0 Points)                               8. Agree (1 Point) 
4. Disagree (1 Point)                            9. Disagree (1 Point)
5. Disagree (1 Point)                            10. Disagree (0 Points)

                                  
What is the next step?

So you may have completed the AQ-10 and now be wondering what to do with this information. This is obviously not a diagnostic assessment but just a helpful initial tool for individuals and health professionals. 

It may be enough for you to look at the results and think okay maybe I do have some autistic traits and you are happy with that as your answer. For others they may want to take further to be able to access more support. The way to access the formal diagnostic process is most often though talking to your GP, letting them know that you have scored 'x' on the AQ-10 can be a really helpful thing for them.

You may fall into the category of not scoring. This does not mean that you are 100% definitely not autistic. If you have concerns talk to a health professional. this is simply a diagnostic tool and dose not replace the process of formal assessment. Autism is wide an complex and therefor you may not score in the areas that these 10 questions explore but have struggles in other areas.


Downfalls of the AQ10
  1. I think that the wording can be difficult, especially for black and white thinkers. I struggle with some of the statements that I don't agree or disagree with and therefor am more neutral.
  2. It makes no difference to the score if you choose slightly or definitely agree, arguably complicating the wording unnecessarily.
  3. Some of the questions ask about things that individuals may struggle to see in themselves, therefore scoring an inaccurate score
  4. Some of the questions are a little bit too specific. For example Q7 - I do find it hard to work out characters intentions but also in general I don't have much interest for reading and therefore it is hard to know if this is an autistic trait or simply that I am not to bothered about thinking the intentions of characters.
  5. The nature of this being a questionnaire for adults without a learning disability it is likely that individuals will have learnt coping strategies meaning that their behaviours may well be masking a deeper difficulty.
Accessing the AQ-10
If you are interested in taking the AQ-10 for yourself you can find it via this link:








Comments