Autistic Achivements


This week at work I was really struck by a conversation with a young autistic person who was admitted to the ward I work on. She was at a real low point struggling with her mental health, a big factor to this was feeling hopeless about he recent diagnosis of Autism, she felt there was no hope or future. I really wanted to write a post to hopefully show there is hope. I really want to be able to write this without coming across as seeming like the most amazing person because trust me I'm not! Each achievement also hasn't been without its challenges but I feel so passionate about advocating what you CAN achieve so bare with me! It is also really important to highlight that each autistic individual is SO SO different so what each one of us can and most importantly want to achieve will be different

GCSEs/ A-Levels

So if you have read previous posts you will already know a bit about my journey though the education system and some of the challenges I faced. Like many autistic individuals I found it a very challenging environment, the sensory overload, social isolation and a system that isn't designed to be very flexible to those who don't fit the 'norm' (to be honest I'm not sure who the education system is designed to suite...?). I was told it was unlikely I would achieve GCSEs never mind  A-Levels. I was offered an alternative curriculum that took a much more practical approach. I did one day a week at a college doing an animal management course (at this point I had my mind set on being a veterinary nurse). I did other more practical qualifications such as PSD (personal and social development) this involved forest school, cooking, trips to supermarkets/ cafes. I'm not going to lie I think this was a much better option, when I was out on the field on a sunny afternoon putting up hammocks and my peers were all stuck in a classroom writing essays about the industrial revolution (I'm guessing that's the sort of thing GCSE history involves?!). 

I decided midway though year 10 that this wasn't the route I wanted take and I wanted to 'fit in'. I started 5 GCSE courses: Maths, English Literature, English Language, Double Science and ICT. I managed to achieve GCSEs in all of these (A*-C). Alongside a pass in PSD and ASDAN

As I came towards the end of my time at secondary school I had a change I what I wanted to do career wise and was looking at Level 3 Childcare courses at a local college. I wasn't until I did a weeks summer school that I realised this really wasn't for me. I wanted something that would challenge me in a different way. At this point I applied for A-Levels, English Language, Maths, Psychology and Sociology. For me 4 A-Levels was too much so at Christmas of year 12 I dropped Maths and continued with the other 3. I came out of Sixth form with 3 A-Levels, BCD which was what I needed to get into university. 

I would like to add here that grades become so irrelevant, at the time they felt like the be all and end all but I have to be honest I had to check my exam certificates when writing this as I honestly couldn't remember what grades I achieved!! The pictures below is a post GCSE result celebratory meal!


Duke Of Edinburgh (DofE)

I really enjoy being outdoors and so when we had a school assembly about DofE I was so keen to get a place. I remember taking the letters home to my slightly concerned parents who desperately wanted to support me but also were very conscious not to set me up to fail. We are very fortunate to have a family friend who is trustee for the DofE award. We were able to pick her brains about how accessible this would be for me. Conversations were had over the weekend at home and a meeting was arranged with the school SENCo and school DofE lead. The DofE lead was reluctant to let me partake but the SENCo as always stood up for me and fought for me to be able to give it a go. I would say this was probably the first time I was fully independent. I managed my bronze award, 2 days of walking with 5 other girls and a camp overnight. I loved it and when the opportunity came to partake in my sliver award I grabbed it and now have a bronze and silver Duke of Edinburgh award. As well as the awards I have so many happy memories, maybe one of my most impressive achievements was accidently setting fire to and melting a metal kettle while doing a training activity on the school field - don't think I can blame ASD for that one...!



Degree

I have also done another full post about my time at uni so this is very much a summary but my university journey started in London. I really didn't get on in London and ended up interrupting and leaving the course to move back home. A year later I re-applied to a new university and had such a positive experience. Of course it wasn't without its challenges but I now hold a 2:1 Batchelors of science degree in Nursing: Child Health. And this week it has been made official with graduation, something that 13 year old me could NEVER have imagined happening. University for me was such an important part of forming me as a person, it was where I finally felt accepted and content with who I am. I am now proud of my Autism (something I never thought I would say!)


Student Nursing Times Award

I feel so passionate about changing the experience of autistic service users within healthcare. It has been an honour to be able to have the insight of both a nurse and an autistic individual. This has been recognised recently being nominated as a finalist for a Student Nursing Times Award - Innovation in practice. this has been a really exciting (and sometimes scary!) opportunity to spread autism awareness, I have been able to engage with people high up in commissioning healthcare services and hopefully educate them about our needs as a community. This has been such a boost to me about what a positive aspect autism is to me. As a colleague told me at work recently when trying to support an Autistic patient 'you are worth your weight in gold having that insight'. Plus it the nomination has the added bonus of a posh ceremony in London later in the year to celebrate! 

Job

The final thing that feels like a big achievement going against the autistic stereotypes is that I am now employed, doing a job that I love. Again I have written a separate post on my transition into work so won't repeat myself but it finally feels like the light at the end of the tunnel of those horrible challenging teenage years is coming to an end. 

Of course it isn't always easy, each day throws little challenges (and some days slightly bigger ones!) but on the whole I am proud to be autistic. It makes me so sad to see young people struggling in exactly the same way that I did 10 years ago, things are changing but just not quickly enough. 

I really hope that if you are reading this and you are in the midst of those really tricky years (or are experiencing it at another point in life!) that you find some encouragement to keep going. Autism doesn't mean you can't achieve what you want to. Might just mean taking a different route or adding a few extra hurdles compared to our neurotypical pals. 


Comments